Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Where the Wild Things Are

A typical Philippine home is full of wild little surprises.



I almost stepped on this fellow during a late night Nalgene fill-up in the kitchen. In the dark I thought it was a pile of poop (you never know) but it turned out to be a hermit crab the size of a baseball. I paparazzi-ed it until it dragged itself under the fridge.





Then I went upstairs and spent 20 minutes holding my camera over my head trying to get a good picture of on of my ceiling geckos. On lonely days I like to think of them as pets.



Then I was distracted by this pretty, snowy moth, also on the ceiling.



But someone else found it too.

4 comments:

  1. I will name them when I can tell them apart...

    So far I can tell that one is a bit more aggressive, but until it makes a run at the other one they but just pretty much cling to the ceiling and eat anything that flies toward the light.

    ReplyDelete