Friday, February 18, 2011

Faces of Rabies Day

A couple days ago I accompanied my counterpart Bebie, Lila's Agriculture Technologist, out on her visit to the barangay La Fortura to administer rabies vaccinations to its furry residents.



Lila is dog-crazy - but that doesn't always translate to the kind of loving and responsible pet ownership that we expect, and have laws to support, back home. Most dogs here live in cages like hamsters, or on the end of heavy chains.


This is Sniper, my neighbor, and the only dog I've seen in the Philippines who actually lives inside a house, though still on a rope. She's very demure for a puppy, and I have to coax her to want to play with me.


Unlike dogs you meet on the streets of California, which are as likely to run toward you and nuzzle your crotch as anything, street dogs here go out of their way to avoid people, skirting in large circles around you, eyes warily on your legs and feet.


It was good to see people bringing their dogs out for vaccinations on rabies day, but most of the dogs looked like they hadn't been out in quite a while - nervous, shy, and over-excited.


Well hello there!

1 comment:

  1. Aww! They all look so cute. I think it is great that you are getting to do things like this.

    ReplyDelete